Friday, August 20, 2010

Cleansing 101

(My son LOVES the snack bars I get...I have to HIDE THEM from him!! But, I feel good about him eating them!)

SO...I've decided to do a 5 day cleanse...

Now, before you think of images of drinking disgusting stuff that makes you poop all the time or makes you dehydrated, let me set the record straight.

This is NOT one of "those" types of cleanses!

This 5 day cleanse helps reset your body. It helps you to start ridding yourself of carbohydrate addiction, as well as helps your body to not become insulin resistant...or if it is...it helps you reverse that issue, itself. It also helps you to start supplying your body with important nutrients and fiber that your body needs to function properly. It's like wiping the slate clean. After these first 5 days, you will be able to start a healthier, low glycemic lifestyle.

I've done this 5 day process before. It works! And it is HEALTHY. I've done it in the past for several reasons.

1) To jumpstart my body before I started eating low glycemic. To rid myself of all those nasty cravings I had developed, and to start with a "clean slate."

2) To incorporate with my race training. Anytime I really want to help "fine tune" my body physically, I do a 5 day cleanse before I start training for an upcoming race.

3) To help me commit to stick to a low glycemic lifestyle! Sometimes you just need to "re-charge" your commitment. I did this after the holidays, when I felt I had one too many pieces of those holiday treats!

4) After doing this 5 day cleanse, people generally lose at least 3-5 pounds during those 5 days. That tends to motivate people!

I am doing it now, as the new school year and my new work schedule starts, because you always need to be "on top of your game," but especially when kiddos are starting school, as well as a new work schedule for me.

What do you do for this 5 day cleanse? I will tell you.

The Basics:
You replace three meals with shakes. You have two snacks between those meals. You take your nutritionals every day. You drink a lot of WATER. You incorporate excercise. YOU FEEL WONDERFUL!

Two Ways to do the 5 Day Cleanse:

The easiest and most convenient way is to go here. This will give you all the components you will need in one simple process. RESET comes with all the meal replacements, snacks, daily supplements, and informational DVD, and program guide.

**This is where I interject and let you know that I am simply telling you what I did (remember my title?!) and where I get the products I personally use. I have a passion for them, because they have worked FOR ME. Is it the only way to go about it? No. Do I think it's the best way? Of course, because it worked FOR ME (they are also the products that "my love" Dr. Strand uses in all his work). Is it pricey? That depends. How much money do you spend each month on things that DO NOT re-invest in your own health? How serious are you going to commit to a new lifestyle if you aren't willing to make that investment of your own resources, time and habit? Soapbox finished.

The other option is to try and "make" your own system. This can be tricky, but here is the info. For your meal replacement shakes, you need to find the following criteria per serving:
  • 8 grams of dietary fiber
  • 15 grams of protein
  • Low in saturated fat
  • Around 240 calories per serving
  • Have around 30 grams of good carbohydrates
  • No more than 19 grams of sugar
  • Certified/Labeled as low glycemic
For your snack bars/snacks, you need to make sure that they have the following criteria per serving:
  • 8-10 grams of protein
  • 2-3 grams of fiber
  • Around 150-200 calories
  • Have around 19-30 grams of good carbohydrates
  • No more than 19 grams of sugar
  • Certified/Labeled as low glycemic
Nutritionals...This part can definitely be tricky! Dr. Strand recommends Usana nutritionals, due to their high quality, and high manufacturing practices. BUT...you don't need to take our word for it.

In Lyle MacWilliam's "Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements," he reviews HUNDREDS of different nutritional companies, from Costco, to GNC, to NuSkin, to other sources. He rates them on a scale of 1-5. Most people think all vitamins are the same, and that "I can get the same thing for cheaper at Walmart." Wrong. There are only a handful of companies that score a 5. Some companies don't even make a 1! This is an amazing and interested resource to peruse. VERY eye opening! Especially in regards to what you are giving your KIDS.

Why nutritionals? Taking the right nutritionals that your body needs is key! Not only to fuel your body so it functions optimally, but so you don't CRAVE. Did you know that when you crave food, especially the "bad" stuff, it is generally because of two things: You are dehydrated, or you are lacking the right vitamins and minerals in your body, so the body craves them, and we mistake it for being "hungry." Taking the right vitamins will lessen your cravings!! YEAH!

(See why it's easier just to get it here?! LOL!)

Well...that's it! A lot of info, but all good I hope!? I invite you all to join me if you like. I raise my vanilla shake to you! CHEERS!

1 comment:

  1. What, you mean you're not drinking lemon juice and cayenne pepper all week?! j/k

    My kids love those bars too. Isn't it interesting what motivation Fall brings? I think I'm more motivated now than I was at the New Year to get my skinny groove on. BRING ON THE CLEANSE!

    ReplyDelete