Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Low Glycemic Lifestyle...My love affair with Dr. Strand


So after researching (and some heavy duty praying for an answer) I was introduced to a book by a friend.

Life changing.

The book is "Healthy For Life" by Dr. Ray Strand.

I'm not one for fads. I'm not one for "quick fixes." I'm not one for having to eat a separate meal from my family. I'm not one for extremities. I wanted a new, healthy lifestyle, that would benefit my entire family, as well as help me lose weight.

Thus began my love affair with Dr. Strand! He is a "real" doctor (Family Practitioner) who began on a quest to help his wife who had several health issues, feel better. The combination of science, nutrition, and lifestyle he introduces are simple, yet so powerful! A lot of it I find falls under "common sense," with the rest making more and more sense as you learn and implement it in your life. It is a lifestyle that encourages a healthy balance of foods, and giving your body what it needs to function at optimal levels. Once you learn more about what food choices are ideal, the lifestyle comes easily. I never count calories. I never eat the same things over and over (unless I want to!) I feel better because the items I use are fresh, and less likely to be refined or processed. I never feel "ravenous," or crave carbs as I have in the past.

I love how creative I can be with my family's meals. My family loves low glycemic! My diabetes LOVES low glycemic! I have cut down my insulin use by more than HALF! Through this lifestyle, you can REVERSE the effects of insulin-resistance, Type 2 Diabetes, not to mention all the health issues you are preventing your kids and family from being susceptible to. Plus...you just feel AMAZING!!

Low Glycemic Living...WHERE do I start?! Luckily, my good friend Nisha, made a video which has a quick intro to what a Low Glycemic Lifestyle is all about.

Since beginning the low glycemic lifestyle, I have lost and kept off 45 pounds, and I plan on losing another 10-15 by October. My running has benefited from this lifestyle as well!! I plan on running another 190 mile relay race (Red Rock Relay) in September, and the Sundance Halloween half marathon in October. I have such a passion for this lifestyle, that I am a contributor on HealthyMomsKitchen.com, and do a weekly post "What's in My Fridge?"

So...Curious? How about this...I will give away the "Healthy for Life" book by Dr. Strand if I can get 50 followers...Who's game?!

What are YOUR questions? Become a follower, and for each question, I will put your name in the drawing again :)

5 comments:

  1. When I talked to you for a second on Sunday about how fantastic you are looking I did notice you mentioned the whole low glycemic thing and I wanted to ask you more about it so I'm super excited to follow your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know where I live!? Anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Congratulations on your success Laura :) I am always fighting my Diabetes. Maybe I need to look into Low Glycemic eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing!! I love to read this blog as well!

    ReplyDelete